Mashed Potatoes and Meat Loaf
Create two delicious dishes in one. Reinvent the classic duo by baking fluffy mashed potatoes into the middle of meat loaf.
Martha Stewart Kids, Winter
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground plus a pinch of pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add enough cold water to cover by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a colander, and drain; return potatoes to pan.
- Mash potatoes with a fork or potato masher until light and fluffy. Add butter, cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper; stir until combined, and set aside.
- Combine ground beef, onion, mustard, egg, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup ketchup, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Place half the mixture on a rimmed baking sheet, and form into an 11-by-6-inch loaf. Place 1 1/2 cups of mashed potatoes on top of meat mixture, leaving a 1-inch border. Place the remaining meat mixture on top; form into a loaf, encasing the potato mixture. Bake 30 minutes, then brush remaining 2 tablespoons ketchup over meat loaf. Continue baking meat loaf until firm to the touch, about 20 minutes more. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.