Shredded Radicchio with Parmigiano-Reggiano
When purchasing cheese for grating, keep in mind that it is easiest to work from a piece large enough to hold onto. Excess cheese can be kept refrigerated, well wrapped in plastic, and used for snacking or in other recipes.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2000
- 3 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano or parmesan cheese (about 1 cup grated)
- 1 to 2 heads radicchio, depending on size, about 1 1/4 pounds total
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Using the fine holes of box grater, grate about 1 cup cheese onto a plate.
- Remove and discard outer leaves of radicchio. Cut heads in half, and remove core. Using a sharp knife, shred radicchio.
- Place shredded radicchio in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, and toss well to combine.
- Divide the radicchio among four salad plates, mounding it up in the center of each plate. Sprinkle reserved Parmigiano-Reggiano over each mound, and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.