Lemongrass Beef Skewers
Martha Stewart Living, February 2008
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 3 lemongrass stalks, bottom 4 inches only, minced
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon packed light-brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless sirloin, trimmed of excess fat
- 1/4 cup roasted salted peanuts (about 1 ounce), crushed
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced on the diagonal (optional)
- Fresh mint and basil sprigs, for serving
- Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves, for serving
- Lime wedges, for squeezing
- Soak 8 bamboo skewers in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Whisk together lemongrass, fish sauce, sugar, garlic, and oil. Slice beef very thinly against the grain. Add to marinade, and toss. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Thread beef onto skewers. Grill until browned, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a platter, tent with foil, and let rest 5 minutes. Sprinkle with peanuts. Serve with the remaining ingredients on the side, bundling the meat, cucumber, and herbs inside the lettuce leaves if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.