- 1 cup dried pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 jar (11 ounces) mild or medium salsa (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream, for serving
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together beans, salsa, chiles, flour, and 1 cup water. Season chicken with salt and pepper; arrange on top of bean mixture. Scatter onion and bell pepper on top of chicken.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours. (Do not open lid or stir.)
- Remove chicken from stew; shred into large pieces and return to stew. Serve topped with sour cream and cilantro.
Oven method: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Follow step 1, using a 5-quart Dutch oven or large pot, substituting 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, drained and rinsed, for dried beans, and increasing water to 2 cups. Cover pot and bring to a simmer on top of the stove. Transfer to oven, and cook until chicken is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Proceed with step 3.