Emeril's Wild-Mushroom Stuffing
This stuffing is special -- how can you go wrong with wine, bacon, and mushrooms?
Everyday Food, November 2008
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Yield Makes 2 cups
- 2 ounces bread, such as Italian, French, or ciabatta (crusts removed), cut into 1/2-inch cubes (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 package (5 ounces) mixed wild mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry Marsala or white wine
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a large bowl, toss bread with milk; set aside. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium, until crisp, 7 to 10 minutes. Add onion, celery, and garlic; cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until they have released their liquid, about 4 minutes. Add Marsala; cook until evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
- Squeeze excess milk from bread; return bread to bowl. Add mushroom mixture, eggs, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; mix well. Use immediately, or refrigerate, up to 1 day.
Buy a 1-pound package of bacon to flavor the stuffing. Soaking the bread cubes in milk adds moisture to the stuffing and helps it bind together.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.