This one-of-a-kind pizza recipe from Franny's restaurant is perfect for seafood lovers.
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2009
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups white wine
- 54 littleneck clams
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 pounds homemade or store-bought pizza dough, room temperature
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Position a rack in the lower third of oven; place a pizza stone on rack. Preheat oven to 500 degrees at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and bay leaf; cook, stirring, until vegetables are soft and fragrant. Add wine and cover pot; bring liquid to a boil. Add clams, cover, and cook, until clams have opened, about 5 minutes. Remove clams from pot and let cool. Remove clams from shells, discarding shells; set aside.
- Strain liquid into a medium saucepan; discard solids. Cook liquid over medium-high heat until reduced and thickened. Add cream and continue cooking until reduced and thickened. Remove from heat and let sauce cool.
- Divide dough into six equal pieces; shape one piece into a 10-inch-round on a pizza peel or the back of a baking sheet. Spoon just enough of the clam sauce over pizza to cover. Top pizza with 9 clams and sprinkle with pepper flakes.
- Carefully transfer pizza to pizza stone and bake until pizza is crisp and nicely browned. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately; repeat process with remaining dough and toppings.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.