Tomato Sauce with Heavy Cream
This tomato sauce recipe is from Marcella Hazan's "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking" and is used to make her delicious Tortelloni Stuffed with Swiss Chard, Prosciutto, and Ricotta.
The Martha Stewart Show, October Fall 2008
- 2 1/2 cups canned imported Italian plum tomatoes, with their juices
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons very finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons very finely chopped carrot
- 3 tablespoons very finely chopped celery
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Place tomatoes in the bowl of a food processor and pulse twice to break up tomatoes; set aside.
- Cook butter and onion in a medium skillet over medium heat until browned. Add carrot and celery; cook for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, and reduce heat until mixture just barely simmers. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add heavy cream and return saucepan to medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, until sauce is heated through, about 1 minute. Use immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.