Everyday Food, October 2007
- 3 pounds Macintosh apples (about 6), quartered and cored
- Juice of 1 lemon, (about 2 Tablespoons)
- 1 (4-inch) cinnamon stick, broken in half
- Pinch of salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples have cooked down into a sauce, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Using a fork, remove pieces of apple peel from sauce, and discard. Use immediately, or store, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.