- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a large pot of boiling
salted water, cook pearl barley until tender but still
al dente, about 35 minutes. Drain in a fine-mesh sieve
and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking.
- In a large skillet, melt unsalted butter over medium-high. Add shallot, minced, and season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Cook until softened, about 2 minutes; add barley and stir to combine. Transfer barley mixture to a large
bowl and stir in toasted pine nuts, finely chopped fresh parsley, and fresh
lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Refrigerate the pilaf up to 2 days. Add lemon juice and parsley before serving.