In this recipe, submitted by Everyday Food reader Deurie Barker of Sanford, North Carolina, dark-meat chicken makes the patties as savory and juicy as beef burgers. Saute the vegetables until they're fully tender for the best flavor and texture.
Everyday Food, May 2008
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound ground dark-meat chicken
- 4 hamburger buns
- Lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl; cool to room temperature (reserve skillet).
- Add chicken to vegetable mixture in bowl; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix to combine. Shape mixture into four 4-inch-wide patties.
- In reserved skillet, heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium; cook patties until browned and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Place chicken burgers on buns, and top with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.