Frisee Salad with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette
Feathery frisee lends crunch to this salad and stands up to the hearty vinaigrette.
Everyday Food, April 2008
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 15 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 4 ounces slab bacon, cut into 1-by-1/4-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 12 ounces frisee, torn into pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a medium skillet, cook bacon over medium, tossing occasionally, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Set bacon aside.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from skillet; return skillet to heat. Add vinegar; stir, scraping up browned bits until dressing is combined.
- In a large bowl, toss frisee with warm dressing. Add bacon, and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Spring greens doesn't last long, so buy only what you plan to use within a few days. To clean, fill a bowl with cold water, and add greens, swishing gently. Scoop out greens. Drain water off. Repeat with fresh water until no grit remains at the bottom of the bowl. Dry with a salad spinner, or pat with paper towels. Store washed greens in a resealable plastic bag lined with dry paper towels in the refrigerator up to 1 day.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.