This recipe is based on a Mexican classic. Make it as mild or as spicy as you like.
Everyday Food, October 2003
- 1 can whole tomatoes with juice
- 1 chopped jalapeno chile, (seeds and ribs removed for less heat)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a blender, puree tomatoes with juice, jalapeno, onion, and garlic.
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add puree; cook, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.