Smoky Corn-Red Pepper Relish
This relish is a great complement to Chris Schlesinger and John Willough's
Molasses-and-Chile-Glazed Pork Medallions.
The Martha Stewart Show, September Summer 2008
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 ears corn, shucked and silks removed
- 1/4 cup fresh coarsely chopped basil
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat a grill: If using a charcoal grill, make a fire in your grill. When the charcoals are completely covered in gray ash, hold your hand about 5 inches above the grill grid; count how many seconds you can comfortably leave it there. When you can hold your hand above the grill for 2 to 3 seconds, you have medium-high heat and are ready to grill. If you are using a gas grill, heat the grill for 15 minutes with the lid closed. Before beginning to cook, reduce the temperature by turning the knobs to medium-high.
- Place bell pepper on grill and grill on all sides until skin is black and blistered, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer pepper to a paper bag, fold bag closed, and set aside.
- Place corn on grill and cook on all sides until tender and beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer corn to a cutting board and remove kernels from cob; you should have about 1 1/2 cups kernels. Transfer corn to a medium bowl and set aside.
- When pepper is cool enough to handle, gently peel the skin from the pepper. Cut pepper in half lengthwise; remove seeds, ribs, and stem. Chop pepper.
- Transfer chopped pepper to bowl with corn, along with basil, oil, vinegar, and garlic; toss until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.