Broccoli with Bechamel
- Coarse salt
- 2 broccoli florets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon grated cheddar cheese, (optional)
- Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. In medium pot, bring 2 quarts salted water to a boil; blanch broccoli until tender yet still green in color. Remove with slotted spoon to ice bath until cool; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. While whisking constantly, add milk in a steady stream, and cook until thickened and creamy, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt, and stir in cheese, if desired. Fold broccoli into bechamel sauce.
- Center 2-inch ring mold on serving plate. Fill with 1/2 cup broccoli mixture. Remove mold, and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.