Pumpkin Gnocchi with Mushrooms
This mouthwatering pumpkin gnocchi, a warm and filling meal, is from chef Frank DeCarlo, of Peasant and Barcaro restaurants.
The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2008
- 1 small sugar pumpkin (1 1/2 to 2 pounds), stem removed, halved lengthwise, and seeded
- 2 cups "00" flour, plus more for work surface
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus more for serving
- 1 1/4 cups freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 20 medium chanterelle mushrooms, trimmed
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 1 cup homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place pumpkin halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet and fill each with 1 tablespoon water. Cover each half with parchment paper-lined aluminum foil. Transfer to oven and roast until soft, about 45 minutes. Let cool. Scrape pumpkin flesh from skin; discard skin.
- Mound flour in center of a large work surface; add 1 tablespoon salt and the nutmeg. Using a fork, mix until well combined. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add 2 cups pumpkin and 1 cup grated cheese to well. Slowly incorporate flour, beginning with inner rim of well. When flour is incorporated, gather dough together to form a rounded mass; knead mixture until smooth, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a cylinder about 1 inch in diameter; cut into 1/2-inch-long pieces. Transfer gnocchi to a baking sheet and cover with a clean, damp towel. Repeat process until all the dough has been used.
- Bring 6 quarts water to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Generously salt water and return to a boil. Add gnocchi and cook until they rise to the top, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over high heat and add butter and shallots. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until shallots are golden. Add mushrooms and sage; cook, stirring, for about 10 seconds. Add 1/4 cup pumpkin, chicken stock, heavy cream, and 1/4 cup grated cheese; cook, stirring, about 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer gnocchi to skillet and toss to combine. Serve immediately with freshly grated parmesan and nutmeg.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.