Chris's Mango Chutney
Chris Schlesinger, owner of the East Coast Grill in Cambridge, Massachusetts, says there are no set rules determining which chutney best suits a given dish. Let your personal preference prevail.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 1/4 cup vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 mangos, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add red onion, and cook until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add green and red peppers. Stir for 1 minute. Add ginger, jalapeno pepper, white vinegar, sugar, and mangoes. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid has thickened slightly, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and allow to cool to room temperature.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.