Agnolotti with Sausage
Martha Stewart Living Television, November 2000
- 1/2 cup (about 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- Coarse salt, (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper, (to taste)
- 1 (10 ounces) frozen petite peas, not defrosted
- 2 pounds agnolott,i fresh fettuccine, or 1 1/2 pounds dry pasta such as shells, orecchiette, or rotini
- In a medium heavy-bottomed skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onions. Cook until onions are soft and have lost their moisture. It may be necessary to adjust the heat so that onions do not brown. Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to cook so that onions brown slowly, stirring frequently, until dark brown but not burned, about 45 minutes total cooking time. It may be necessary to adjust the heat to prevent them from burning.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet. Crumble sausage into skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Do not to let the meat dry out. Add cream, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Transfer to a large heat-proof bowl. Break sausage into marble-size pieces, if necessary. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add peas and onions to sausage in bowl. Add agnolotti to boiling water. Place bowl over pot of boiling water to warm through. Cook until al dente, following label directions. Strain pasta, and add to bowl with sausage mixture along with a few tablespoons boiling water. The sauce should not be wet or runny. The agnolotti should be well coated and shiny from the sauce. Transfer to serving dishes, and season with pepper. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.