Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookie Cake
Cookies can be baked a day in advance; assemble the cake just before serving.
Martha Stewart Kids, Spring
- 7 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup dark unsulfured molasses
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Put butter, peanut butter, and sugars into mixer bowl; mix on medium-high until pale and fluffy. Mix in egg and yolk. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined.
- Remove 2 1/2 cups dough. Divide it in half; shape into disks. Wrap each in plastic; refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Add molasses to remaining dough in mixer; mix on low speed until combined. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch plain round tip (such as Ateco #7).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On lightly floured parchment, roll out 1 disk of dough to 1/4 inch thick. Transfer with parchment to baking sheet; freeze until firm, about 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cut dough into 2 1/2-inch squares; space 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment. Pipe molasses dough around edges for "crust." Score diagonally. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Bake until centers are pale golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool. Carefully break each cookie at scoring. Spread 1 teaspoon jam on half of the cookies; sandwich with remaining cookies.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.