Green-Pea Soup with Cheddar-Scallion Panini
Vibrant-hued pea soup is a wonderful dish to help usher in spring. Alongside it, toasty cheese sandwiches get a touch of seasonal greenery from sliced scallions.
Everyday Food, March 2008
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
- 3 boxes (10 ounces each) frozen peas
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar (6 ounces)
- 8 slices rye sandwich bread
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium. Add scallion whites, and cook, stirring, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add peas, broth, and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until peas are tender, about 5 minutes; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss cheddar with scallion greens. Make 4 sandwiches with cheddar mixture and bread.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-low. Place sandwiches in skillet, and cook until golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side, adding remaining tablespoon butter to skillet to cook second side.
- Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth (filling blender only halfway to prevent spattering). If necessary, adjust consistency with a little bit of water. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Slice each panini into four "fingers, and serve with soup.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.