Shallot Cherry Confit
Shallot confit is the inspiration behind this easy hors d'oeuvre of manchego cheese and sliced baguette.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2005
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces shallots, trimmed and quartered
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add shallots, onion, cherries, and thyme. Cover, and cook until shallots and onion are soft and beginning to caramelize, 12 to 14 minutes. Stir in sugar. Continue to cook, covered, until shallots and onion are caramelized, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add vinegar and 1/4 cup warm water. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and mixture is deep brown, about 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature. Confit can be refrigerated in an airtight container, up to 1 week.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.