Slow-Cooker Sausage Lasagna
This meat sauce starts quickly on the stove, but hours in the slow cooker adds depth.
Everyday Food, March 2009
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes plus slow cooking
- Yield Serves 8
- 1 pound Italian pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 pound ground beef sirloin
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella (8 ounces)
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot, cook sausage and beef over medium-high, breaking up meat with a spoon, until no longer pink, 4 to 6 minutes. Add onion, carrots, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook until onion has softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, then tomatoes; bring to a boil, and remove from heat.
- Spoon 2 cups meat mixture into bottom of a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Layer 3 noodles (breaking them as needed to fit), 2 cups meat mixture, and 1/2 cup cheese; repeat with two more layers (refrigerate 1/2 cup cheese for topping).
- Cover slow cooker, and cook on low, 4 to 6 hours. Sprinkle lasagna with 1/2 cup cheese. Cover until cheese has melted, about 10 minutes.
To fit lasagna noodles into a round slow cooker, break off corners as needed. You don't have to precook the noodles. When the lasagna's done, they'll be ready, too.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.