Martha Stewart Living, August
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 ounce fresh herbs, such as basil, lemon verbena, mint, tarragon, or thyme
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Ice, for serving
- Sparkling water or club soda, for serving
- Put sugar and 1 cup water into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat; add herbs. Cover; let cool completely.
- Pour syrup through a fine sieve into a small bowl; discard herbs. Stir in lemon juice. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Fill glasses with ice. Add 2 to 4 tablespoons syrup; top with sparkling water or club soda, and stir.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.