No-Bake Birthday Cake
This kid-pleasing marshmallow-and-crisp-rice cereal confection has a sweet secret: chocolate-marshmallow icing inside. Cereal bits give it a festive trim. Candies in cupcake liners decorate each plate. Prepare the Basic Crisp-Rice Treats, then follow the molding instructions below to make the cake.
Martha Stewart Kids, Spring 2005
- Yield Makes one 8-inch, 2-layer cake
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- Crispy Cake Basic Recipe (http://www.marthastewart.com/257776/crispy-cake-basic-recipe)
- Chocolate-Marshmallow Frosting (http://www.marthastewart.com/257777/chocolate-marshmallow-frosting)
- Flower- and ball-shaped cereal pieces
- Coat two 8-by-2-inch round cake pans with cooking spray. Prepare crisp-rice mixture; before pouring into pan, reserve 2 tablespoons for patching cake, and set aside, covered. Divide remaining crisp-rice mixture among prepared cake pans. Press into pans with greased fingers to level. Let cool until set, at least 30 minutes.
- Run a knife around edges of cakes to loosen; unmold onto parchment paper.
- While frosting is still warm, pour onto center of 1 cake layer, and spread evenly to edges. Let stand 10 minutes. Place second cake layer on top; press down gently. Using reserved pieces of crisp-rice mixture, patch edges where frosting is visible.
- Decorate with cereal, arranging pieces around top,middle, and bottom edges. Let cake stand until firm enough to slice, at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. After 2 hours, wrap cake in plastic wrap to prevent it from getting too hard to slice.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.