Cheddar Double Pie Crust Variation
Everyday Food, November 2008
- Prep Time 40 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes plus chilling
Yield Makes two 9-inch crusts
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar (6 ounces)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
- In a food processor, briefly pulse flour, salt, and sugar. Add butter and cheddar; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons ice water. Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed (if necessary, add up to 2 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon at a time). Don't overmix.
- Divide into two disks. Turn dough out onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Fold plastic over dough; press to shape into a 1-inch-thick disk. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour (or up to 3 days). See Cheddar-Crusted Apple Pie for rolling and fitting instructions.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.