Poached Oysters in Pernod Cream
This delicious recipe is courtesy of Emeril Lagasse and can be found in his cookbook "From Emeril's Kitchens."
The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2008
- 1 cup creme fraiche, or 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup heavy cream, well combined
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt, plus more for spinach
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 36 oysters, freshly shucked, liquor reserved
- 1 cup Pernod
- 1 pound fresh spinach, rinsed, dried, and cut into thin strips
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 ounces beluga or sevruga caviar
- In a small bowl, mix together creme fraiche, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Transfer mixture to a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl. Refrigerate, and let drain for 2 hours. Transfer solids to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add heavy cream, 1 1/2 cups reserved oyster liquor, and the Pernod; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon salt and remaining teaspoon pepper; reduce heat to medium. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes; remove from heat. Add half of the spinach to saucepan and puree mixture using an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender or food processor. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a large skillet; keep warm.
- Heat oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed pot until it reaches 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Working in batches, fry remaining spinach until crispy, about 45 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, remove cooked spinach and drain on a paper-towel-lined plate; season with salt.
- Add oysters to cream sauce and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook until the edges start to curl, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To serve, arrange six oysters in each of six shallow bowls. Spoon 1/2 cup cream sauce into each bowl; spoon a dollop of creme fraiche in the center, top with caviar, and garnish with fried spinach. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.