Everyday Food, December 2009
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 15 minutes plus chilling
- Yield Makes 36
- Nonstick spray, for baking pan
- 2 1/4 cups (16 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup round peppermint candies, plus 18 for garnish
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Lightly coat a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray. Line pan with two pieces parchment paper in both directions, leaving 2 inches of overhang on all sides; spray parchment. Place chocolate in a bowl. In a food processor, pulse candies until finely chopped. In a medium saucepan, combine candies, cream, marshmallows, butter, sugar, and salt over medium-high. Whisk until smooth, 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture through a strainer into bowl with chocolate; let stand 1 minute, then stir until smooth. Pour into baking pan and refrigerate until set, 3 hours. Cut fudge into 1 1/2-inch squares. With a sharp knife, cut 18 candies in half; press a candy half into each square before serving or packing.
Use parchment or colored plastic wrap to package your fudge, or visit a crafts store for shiny, colorful foil squares. Twist the ends for a candy-like look, then stuff some stockings!
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.