- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 pound morel mushrooms, washed
- 1 pound chanterelle mushrooms, cut lengthwise
- 1/4 cup Madeira wine
- 2 cups <u>Homemade Chicken Stock</u>, or low-sodium canned
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt, plus more for pasta water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- <u>Cheese Tortelloni</u>
- 3 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a medium skillet, heat oil and 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add shallots, and saute until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add morels and chanterelles, and saute until liquid is released and evaporated and they are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add Madeira; scrape up any bits on bottom with a wooden spoon. Add stock, salt, and pepper; simmer until reduced by one fourth, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tarragon and cream; simmer until slightly thickened. Reduce heat to low. Add remaining 4 tablespoons butter; stir. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt. Add tortelloni in batches of 12; cook until al dente, about 5 minutes, and remove with a slotted spoon. Divide tortelloni among bowls; spoon sauce over them. Garnish with Parmesan and tarragon; serve.
Three ounces dried morel mushrooms can be substituted for fresh. Set in boiling water, and let rest for a half hour; drain and use.