Bette's Chicken-Liver Pate with Sauteed Maple Syrup Apples
The pate can be refrigerated (without the apples) for up to one week.
Martha Stewart Living, October
- Yield Serves 8 as an hors d'oeuvre
- 15 tablespoons (1 7/8 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3/4 pound chicken livers, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions, white and pale-green parts only (about 3 scallions)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, (2 to 3 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Coarse salt
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 loaf crusty bread, for serving
- Sauteed Maple Syrup Apples (http://www.marthastewart.com/254904/sauteed-maple-syrup-apples)
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add livers, mushrooms, scallions, garlic, and paprika. Cook, stirring occasionally, until livers are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt. Add wine and thyme. Reduce heat to low; cover. Cook until mushrooms are very soft, about 10 minutes. Let mixture cool completely.
- Process mixture and remaining 12 tablespoons butter in a food processor until smooth. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Transfer pate to an airtight container or a ramekin; cover with plastic wrap directly on surface. Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours or overnight. Serve with bread and sauteed apples.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.