Penne with Two Tomatoes and Mozzarella
We used penne rigate pasta for this dish because its ridges catch the pieces of tomato, garlic, and chive. Rigatoni or medium shells would also work well.
Everyday Food, May 2009
- Prep Time 10 minute
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 12 ounces penne rigate
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- Place cheese in freezer. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain pasta and set aside.
- In pasta pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add cherry tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, and pasta water. Cook until cherry tomatoes soften, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add pasta, chilled cheese, and chives to pot, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine.
Chilling the mozzarella cubes in the freezer for 15 minutes helps them retain their shape when they're added to the hot pasta.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.