White Peach Sherbet
If the peaches are very sweet, use the lesser amount of sugar.
Yield Makes about 2 quarts
- 2 1/2 pounds ripe white peaches, peeled
- Juice of 1 lemon (2 to 3 tablespoons)
- 1/2 to 1 cup sugar
- 2 sprigs fresh lavender, peppermint, or bush basil (<a href="http://www.bonnydoonfarm.com" class="page" target="_blank">www.bonnydoonfarm.com</a>; optional)
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Coarsely chop peaches, and place them in a large bowl. Crush with your hands or a potato masher until only very small pieces remain. Stir in lemon juice, sugar, and herbs if desired. Cover, and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, 1 hour. Stir in vodka, then the cream. Discard herbs.
- Freeze peach mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions until thick but not frozen solid. Transfer to a chilled airtight container; freeze at least 2 hours (up to 2 weeks). Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.