Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage
This dish can be made in advance and reheated before serving.
Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1998/1999
- 1 small head red cabbage, (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 7 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground allspice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- Cut cabbage in half lengthwise, remove core, and slice as thinly as possible.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add cabbage, and saute stirring until wilted, about 10 minutes. Add vinegar, honey, and spices. Season well with salt and pepper. Add 3 tablespoons water, and continue cooking cabbage until almost soft, about 1 1/2 hours. (Add more water if needed while cabbage is cooking.)
- Cut apple in half lengthwise, remove core, and slice into very thin wedges. Add to cabbage, and continue cooking until cabbage is soft and almost dry, about 20 more minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.