Mashed Red-Curry Sweet Potatoes
Coconut milk and curry paste update sweet potatoes.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2007
- 6 medium sweet potatoes (about 4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 1/2 to 3 teaspoons Thai red-curry paste
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for dishes
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Bake on a baking sheet until soft, about 1 hour. Let cool slightly. Peel potatoes, transfer to a bowl, and mash with a potato masher.
- Bring coconut milk and curry paste to a simmer in a saucepan. Cook for 5 minutes. Add potatoes along with 3 tablespoons maple syrup, 2 tablespoons butter, and the salt, and stir.
- Preheat broiler. Butter six 1-cup gratin dishes or one 6-cup baking dish. Spoon mixture into dishes, and smooth tops. Drizzle with remaining maple syrup. Dot with remaining butter, cut into small pieces. Broil until tops are sizzling and browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.