Avocado, Shrimp, and Endive Salad
Avocados in a seafood salad help the body to absorb the beta-carotene in crispy endive leaves.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 20 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 medium Belgian endives, leaves separated, larger ones cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 ripe Hass avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh tarragon
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil with 1 tablespoon lemon juice until combined.
- Combine shrimp with remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice, the salt, and pepper, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over high heat. Add shrimp and juices, and cook, stirring, until shrimp are pink and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer shrimp and juices to a bowl.
- Add endives, avocados, tarragon, and dressing to shrimp, and gently toss. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.