Top our Raspberry Cupcakes with this buttercream.
Martha Stewart Living, February 2010
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 large egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, softened
- Gel-paste food coloring, in Tulip Red (<a href="http://sugarcraft.com" target="_blank">sugarcraft.com</a>)
- Whisk sugar, egg whites, and salt in a heatproof mixer bowl set over a pan of simmering water until sugar dissolves and syrup registers 160 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Transfer bowl to mixer, and whisk sugar syrup on medium speed for 5 minutes. Raise speed to medium-high, and whisk until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 6 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium. Add butter, 1 piece at a time, whisking well after each addition. Whisk in food coloring.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.