Bacon and Onion Quiche
Martha Stewart Living, June 2002
Yield Makes five 4-inch tarts
- 1/2 recipe Pate Brisee (Pie Dough) Pate Brisee (http://www.marthastewart.com/254603/pate-brisee-pie-dough)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 strips bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into small dice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 6 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated (1 1/2 cups)
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough less than 1/8 inch thick. Use a 5-inch fluted cookie cutter to cut into rounds. Fit into five 4-inch nonstick tart pans. Transfer to refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bacon, and cook until fat renders and bacon is crisp and brown, about 8 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to paper towels to drain. Add onions to the same skillet, reduce heat to medium low, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are dark golden brown, 30 to 45 minutes. Combine onions and bacon in a small bowl; set aside.
- Divide half of the cheese evenly among the pans. Sprinkle with bacon and onion mixture, then top with remaining cheese. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, cream, eggs, and egg yolk. Season with, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Divide evenly among pans, pouring over cheese. Transfer to oven, and bake until just set in the center, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.