- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 small green cabbage, very thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 8 brussels sprouts (about 6 ounces), trimmed, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small red apples, such as Gala, cut into matchsticks
- Bring 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons vinegar and the cabbage. Cover, and steam until cabbage has just wilted, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cabbage to a colander set over a large bowl. Immediately add brussels sprouts and onion to colander; toss to combine. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Whisk orange juice, lemon juice, remaining tablespoon vinegar, dill, mustard, poppy seeds, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour in oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified.
- Transfer cabbage mixture to a large bowl. Add vinaigrette and apples, and toss gently to coat. Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes, tossing occasionally. Serve.
Slaw can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 2 days.