Stir-Fried Vegetable and Shrimp Omelet
Per serving: 232 calories, 6 g fat, 246 mg cholesterol, 19 g carbs, 833 mg sodium, 25 g protein, 4 g fiber
Photography: John Blais
Martha Stewart Living, September 2000
- 1/2 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 3 large whole eggs plus 6 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 8 ounces medium shrimp (about 16 shrimp), peeled and deveined
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced into 1/8-inch half-moons
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 1 cup snow peas (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup bean shoots (about 3 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped red chile
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- Snow pea shoots, stems trimmed, for garnish (optional)
- Place the shiitake mushrooms in a small bowl, add 3/4 cup boiling water, and let sit 30 minutes. Strain; cut the mushrooms into 1/4-inch slices. Set aside. Pour the liquid through a coffee filter to strain; set aside. Place the eggs, egg whites, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl, and whisk to combine. Divide egg mixture evenly between 2 small bowls, and set aside.
- Place the wok over high heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil. When hot, add the shrimp, and cook, stirring frequently, until bright pink and just cooked, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from wok, and place in a small bowl. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil to the wok. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring constantly until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the carrot and red pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until just tender, about 4 minutes. Add the reserved soaked mushrooms, reserved shrimp, snow peas, and bean shoots, and stir to combine.
- Push the vegetables and shrimp to the sides of the wok. Add the reserved mushroom-soaking liquid, hoisin sauce, low-sodium soy sauce, cornstarch mixture, ginger, and chile to the center of the wok, and stir until combined and slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Combine sauce with the vegetables and shrimp. Transfer vegetable-and-shrimp mixture to a bowl, and cover to keep warm.
- Wipe out the wok, and return to high heat. Add canola oil, and swirl to coat wok. Pour half the egg mixture into the wok; swirl so the egg mixture coats the wok creating an omelet of even thickness, about 10 inches in diameter. Continue to swirl as the egg cooks, about 3 minutes. Once the omelet is completely set and browned on the bottom, use a spatula to loosen it, and slide it onto a plate. Cover to keep warm. Repeat the process with the remaining egg mixture to make a second omelet. Add half the reserved vegetable-and-shrimp mixture to half of each omelet; fold the omelets to cover the vegetable-and-shrimp mixture. Cut omelets in half, and transfer them to serving plates; garnish with snow-pea shoots if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.