BLT Salmon Burger
For a tasty and healthy alternative to red meat, try this salmon burger from Liran Mezan of BLT Burger.
The Martha Stewart Show, September 2009
- 2 pounds skinless boneless salmon filet, cut into 1- to 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup minced scallions, white parts only
- Zest of 1 lime
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil, for griddle
- 6 hamburger buns with sesame seeds, split
- 1 pound baby arugula, washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Zesty Tartar Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/256670/zesty-tartar-sauce)
- Pickled Onions (http://www.marthastewart.com/256671/pickled-onions)
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut lengthwise into 18 pieces
- Pass salmon filet through a meat grinder fitted with a large disc or cut into 1-inch pieces and place in the bowl of a food processor; pulse until ground, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer ground salmon to a large bowl. Add scallions, lemon and lime zests; mix until well combined. Divide mixture evenly into six portions. Using a 3-inch ring mold, evenly pack one portion of the salmon mixture into ring mold to create a 3/4-inch thick patty. Repeat process with remaining salmon. Place patties on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and transfer to refrigerator until chilled, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat a griddle over medium-high heat. Remove salmon patties from refrigerator and brush evenly with butter; season with salt and pepper. Lightly brush griddle with oil and place patties on griddle. Cook, turning once, until medium-rare, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove patties from griddle. Brush cut sides of buns with remaining butter and place, cut side-down, on griddle until toasted, about 1 minute.
- Place arugula in a small bowl and drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice; toss to combine.
- Spread 1 tablespoon tartar sauce over the top half of each hamburger bun. Top tarter sauce with 1 tablespoon pickled onions, baby arugula, and 3 slices of avocado each. Place the salmon patties on the bottom half of each bun and sandwich with top half; serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.