Emeril's Chicken Paillards with Chickpea Relish and Arugula
I really enjoy the spiciness of the arugula in this dish, but you can use another variety of fresh greens, such as baby spinach or a mesclun blend.
Everyday Food, April 2009
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 15 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for pan
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 bunch fresh arugula, tough stems removed
- Lay chicken flat; holding a sharp knife parallel to work surface, split chicken in half horizontally. Cover with plastic wrap; pound each cutlet with the flat side of a meat mallet or the bottom of a small pan until inch thick.
- In a shallow dish, combine 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Add chicken; turn to coat. Heat a large skillet over medium-high; lightly brush with oil. Cook chicken until opaque throughout, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- In a bowl, toss together chickpeas, onion, basil, 2 tablespoons oil, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.
- Top chicken with chickpea relish; serve with arugula and lemon wedges.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.