Creamed Spinach and Basil
This creamed spinach recipe is courtesy of chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten and goes well with his roasted chicken and potatoes.
The Martha Stewart Show, March Spring 2008
- Coarse salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 3 cups tightly packed spinach leaves
- 3 cups tightly packed basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons very finely chopped fennel
- 3 tablespoons very finely chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon very finely chopped Serrano chile (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spinach and basil and cook until wilted. Immediately transfer to an ice-water bath. Drain and squeeze dry; coarsely chop and set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and shallots and cook until golden. Add fennel and celery and continue cooking until soft and translucent.
- Add cream and let reduce until thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add spinach, basil, and chile, if using; stir to combine. Cook until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper; serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.