If the compote becomes dry before you're ready to serve it, stir in 1/4 cup of water, and simmer for one minute.
Martha Stewart Living, January 2005
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 piece (2 inches) peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 green cardamom pods, crushed with the flat side of a large knife, seeds reserved and pods discarded
- 2 tea bags, English breakfast or other black tea
- 6 ounces (about 1 cup) dried apricots, halved
- 2 ounces (about 1/3 cup) dried black figs, stemmed and quartered
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Plain whole-milk yogurt, preferably Greek, for serving
- Bring 2 cups water, the ginger, fennel seeds, and cardamom seeds to a boil in a small saucepan. Add tea bags; remove from heat. Let stand 3 minutes. Remove bags with a slotted spoon and discard.
- Add apricots, figs, and sugar to tea mixture in pan. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, partially covered, until fruits are tender and liquid is reduced to a thick syrup, 20 to 25 minutes. Compote can be served warm or at room temperature. Serve yogurt on the side, with a little of the syrup drizzled on top.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.