Peach Melba Baked Alaska
You will need a metal bowl that's about eight inches in diameter.
Martha Stewart Living, July/August
- 8 large egg whites
- 2 cups superfine sugar
- 2 pints peach sorbet, slightly softened
- 1 pint raspberry sorbet, slightly softened
- 3 peaches
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Heat oven to 250 degrees. Cut a sheet of parchment paper to fit a baking sheet. Turn over an 8-inch-diameter metal bowl on parchment paper, and trace the perimeter of the bowl; place the parchment on the baking sheet, pencil side down, and set aside. Fit a 12-inch pastry bag with a 1/2-inch-wide open-star tip, and set aside.
- Place 2 egg whites in the clean bowl of an electric mixer. Beat the whites until soft peaks form. Slowly pour in 1/2 cup superfine sugar. Continue to beat until stiff and shiny. Transfer to prepared pastry bag. Pipe a spiral of meringue starting in the center of the circle and finishing just inside the pencil mark. Bake meringue disk until dry, making sure not to let it brown, 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool completely.
- While meringue is baking, line the metal bowl with plastic wrap so the plastic hangs over the edges. Fill the bowl with peach sorbet, making a deep well in the center, and press to make it smooth. Fold over the plastic wrap to cover the top, and freeze until hard, about 30 minutes.
- When peach sorbet has hardened, fill well with raspberry sorbet; press to make a smooth top. Cover again with plastic wrap; return to the freezer until ready to serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.