Brownies and cookies come together in this irresistible treat from Matt Lewis of Brooklyn's Baked bakery.
The Martha Stewart Show, March 2010
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes, plus more for pie tins
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces dark chocolate (60 to 72 percent cacao), coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light-brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (http://www.marthastewart.com/256722/chocolate-chip-cookie-dough)
- Ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Butter bottom and sides of six 4-inch-round pie tins; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and cocoa powder; set aside.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over (but not touching) simmering water. Turn off heat but keep bowl over water; whisk both sugars into chocolate mixture. Remove bowl from water and let cool to room temperature.
- Add eggs to chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined. Add vanilla and stir just to combine; do not overmix. Sprinkle flour mixture over chocolate mixture. Using a spatula, gently fold flour mixture into chocolate mixture until just a trace amount of the flour mixture is visible.
- Fill each prepared pie tin halfway with batter. Place pie tins on a large baking sheet and transfer to refrigerator; let chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a 1/4-cup ice cream scoop with a mechanical release, scoop chilled cookie dough into six balls. Using your hands, shape dough to form perfect balls and gently form into a round disk that is slightly domed at the top; disks should be slightly smaller than the top of the pie tins.
- Remove pie tins from refrigerator and gently press 1 disk of cookie dough into each tin of batter. Transfer baking sheet to oven and bake until cookie is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through cooking time. Serve warm with ice cream or at room temperature.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.