Crunchy Caramel Corn
Skip the movie theater and still indulge your kids' popcorn cravings -- this extra-crunchy version (with some sweetness) will make them applaud right at home.
Photography: José Manuel Picayo Rivera
Everyday Food, October 2007
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Serves 6
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus more for baking sheet
- 10 cups plain unsalted popped (from 1/2 cup kernels or a 3.3-ounce bag microwave popcorn) popcorn
- 1 cup cashews, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- Coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Butter a large rimmed baking sheet; set aside. Place popcorn in a large bowl; if using cashews, add to bowl and toss to combine. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring butter, sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons water to a boil, stirring constantly. Working quickly, drizzle popcorn with sugar syrup, and toss.
- Spread popcorn evenly on prepared baking sheet. Bake, tossing occasionally, until golden and shiny, about 40 minutes. Transfer hot popcorn to parchment-paper-lined baking sheet; let cool.
Store in airtight container up to 1 week.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.