Grilled Pineapple and Avocado Salsa
Grilling pineapple caramelizes its sugars, making it even sweeter.
Martha Stewart Living, June 1995
- 1 pineapple, (about 4 1/2 pounds), peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch-thick rings
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small Hass avocados
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced, seeded jalapeno pepper, (about 1 small pepper)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium hot. Brush pineapple rings lightly with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Grill until brown and caramelized, about 8 minutes per side. Or cook on a grill pan over medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes on each side. Cool slightly, and cut into 1-inch chunks. Transfer to a bowl.
- Halve avocados; remove and discard pit and peel. Cut flesh into 1/2-inch chunks; add to pineapple along with lime juice, jalapeno, and cilantro. Toss to combine, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.