Sweet Corn with Baby Beets and Basil
The vegetables in this side dish are simply tossed in
olive oil, allowing the earthy-sweet summer flavors and bright colors to shine.
Martha Stewart Living, August 2010
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 ears of corn, husked and halved
- 8 baby beets (about 1 pound), trimmed and scrubbed
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 to 2 tablespoons torn fresh basil
- Garnish: basil sprigs
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil; season with salt.
Cook corn until tender, about 4 minutes; remove with a
slotted spoon, and transfer to a plate.
- Add beets to water, and simmer, partially covered, until
tender when pierced with a knife, 30 to 35 minutes;
remove with a slotted spoon, and transfer to a plate. Let cool
slightly. Peel, and cut beets into halves or quarters.
- Carefully cut kernels from corncobs using a sharp knife,
and transfer to a large shallow bowl. Add beets, and
drizzle with oil. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in
torn basil. Garnish with basil sprigs.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.