Chocolate Chunk Macaroons
Unsweetened coconut is available in health-food stores.
Martha Stewart Living, April 1995
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups (about 3 ounces) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine sugar, coconut, egg whites, chocolate chunks, vanilla, and salt. Use your hands to mix well, completely combining ingredients.
- Dampen hands with cold water. Form 1 1/2 tablespoons of mixture into a loose haystack shape, and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture, placing macaroons about 1 inch apart.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven to a wire rack, and let macaroons cool slightly on baking sheet. These are best served warm from the oven, but can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days; leave in a warm place for 1 hour before serving to allow chocolate to soften.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.