You can also bake the chocolate filling in your favorite homemade pie dough or a ready-made frozen 9-inch pie shell; you may need fewer pecans.
Photography: Clive Streeter
Everyday Food, November 2003
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
- Serves 8
- 1 store-bought refrigerated pie crust (not in a pie plate)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 2 teaspoons, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1 1/3 cups pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in center. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pie dough to a 12-inch round, about 1/8 inch thick. Wrap dough around rolling pin, and unwrap over a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press dough into bottom and up sides of pan; trim edge of dough.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, light corn syrup, 4 teaspoons melted butter, and the vanilla. Scatter chocolate evenly over tart shell. Pour filling over chocolate. Arrange pecans on top, as desired. Dot with 2 teaspoons chilled butter.
- Place tart pan on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until filling is set, 45 to 60 minutes. If pecans are browning too quickly, tent pan with foil. Remove from oven; while still hot, drizzle with bourbon, if desired. Let tart cool completely before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.