Heart-Shaped Meringues Filled with Passion Fruit Curd
This recipe for heart-shaped meringues filled with passion fruit curd was adapted from the "Martha Stewart Baking Handbook."
The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2007
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Fresh raspberries, for garnish
- Passion Fruit Curd (http://www.marthastewart.com/257611/passion-fruit-curd)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Trace 4 heart shapes onto the parchment paper using a 2 1/2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter. Turn parchment paper over on baking sheet; set aside.
- In the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer set over a pan of simmering water, combine egg whites, granulated sugar, and salt. Whisk constantly until the sugar has dissolved and the egg mixture is warm to the touch, about 2 minutes. Attach bowl to the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, 2 to 4 minutes. Beat in vanilla.
- Spoon meringue mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a plain round 1/2-inch tip. Cover one of the hearts with an even layer of meringue. Continue piping meringue around the outer edge of the heart, making a 1-inch-high cup. Repeat piping over the remaining hearts.
- Transfer baking sheet to oven and bake 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 175 degrees, and bake until meringue is dry and crisp but still white., 1 1/4 hours to 1 1/2 hours more. Transfer sheet to a wire rack and let meringues cool completely before carefully easing them off the parchment. Meringues can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.
- When ready to serve, fill each meringue heart with passion fruit curd and garnish with berries. Dust meringues with confectioners' sugar, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.