Broccoli Cream Soup
This delicious broccoli soup is adapted from "Martha Stewart's Cooking School."
The Martha Stewart Show, October Fall 2008
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups Basic Chicken Stock (http://www.marthastewart.com/255226/basic-chicken-stock), plus more as needed
- 1 head broccoli (about 1 3/4 pounds), trimmed and cut into florets; peel and cut stems crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute (the flour should not take on any color).
- Pour in stock, whisking until fully incorporated, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, whisking often, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli stems and season with salt and pepper. Return to a boil, stirring to combine. Add florets and return to a boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer until broccoli is tender enough to mash with the back of a spoon, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer broccoli mixture to the jar of a blender, bowl of a food processor, or puree through a food mill fitted with a fine or coarse disk, or an immersion blender. Strain soup through a fine mesh sieve into a clean pot, pressing down on solids.
- Set pot of soup over low heat and whisk in cream, if using. Thin with more stock or water, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.